Allianz – Expanding Insurance Services to New Markets
Since its inception in China, the Allianz Insurance Company has achieved significant growth. To support its growth, the company needed a fast and cost effective way to expand its IT capabilities.
Our partnership has enhanced Allianz’s ability to react faster to changing markets, quickly launch products that match consumers' evolving demand, improve customer satisfaction, while reducing operating costs.
Bamboo continues to provide long term maintenance services to Allianz from our Managed Application Maintenance Service platform.
Allianz’s core business systems did not meet Chinese national regulatory standards. Therefore, localized development based on the existing core business systems was required for Allianz’s national business.
The systems to be migrated included backend actuarial systems, risk management applications as well as agent support and retail frontend systems. Everything from customer sales, to service, claims management, investigation and actuarial support were included.
A major issue was that the migration and localization needed to be done in a period of less than twelve months in order to meet the client’s business targets and coincide with its new product launch.
Quality was of topmost priority. Without the local staff to accomplish this project internally, the client had concerns about using an outside vendor for a mission critical initiative of this nature. The insurance industry relies on high quality standards. Errors in risk calculation, or untimely responses to customer enquiries can expose the business to unacceptable levels of risk and result in financial loss.
- Available client resources were scarce so formal analysis and development skills were essential in maintaining strict control of the project.
- Bamboo provided a dedicated project team to work directly with the various business owners. Full requirements regarding the differences between Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese business practices, regulations and business strategies were documented to form the basis of the required system changes. We provided onsite professional IT support through which we can have smooth communication with the clients and have better understanding on their corporate culture.
- Bamboo set up and ran a development center for Allianz. The center is staffed with a team of highly skilled IT talent with practical experience in designing, building, integrating, testing, deploying and maintaining mission critical software applications.
- The technical expertise of Bamboo was brought to bear on a complex series of applications based on Oracle suite of products with many in-house extensions. The products included Oracle Application Server, Oracle Database, Oracle 9i Forms, Oracle 9i Reports, TOAD and Oracle APEX.
- Services were performed on applications relating to insurance products covering property, liability, marine, engineering and domestic credit insurance, as well as short term health insurance and accident insurance for domestic and foreign clients.
- Allianz projects are implemented using Bamboo Quality System (BQS) developed with the CMMi5 methodology. This methodology ensures that every project is delivered with high quality, on-time, within budget, and cost effective in production environment.
- The application migration project was completed two months ahead of schedule, including testing and end user training.
- Bamboo’s CMMI Level 5 quality control systems ensured that the finished product exceeded the client’s internal quality guidelines. In addition, the work was completed at less than 60 percent of the cost of doing the work in-house.
- Speed up release cycle. It only took a week to develop a new product based on the current business system.
“Bamboo delivered early and under budget and enabled the successful expansion of the insurance business into Mainland China. Bamboo’s business analysts communicate very well with the users to gather business requirement and handle the bugs in the production database. Bamboo’s development team is excellent in their technical knowledge. System Analysts and Developers understood the business requirements in a short time period. Their quality testing effort makes our brand new products to run smoothly in production.”